2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR General Information
Open Enrollment begins March 2, 2018 and ends on March 30, 2018.
If necessary, a public random drawing will be held on in early April to determine enrollment in any grade where applications exceed capacity.
To apply, please complete and submit an online application for enrollment and upload parent/guardian proof of residence. Proof of residence includes utility bills (gas, water, electric, trash – not telephone, cable, etc.).
For admission to ASA Thrive, students must apply directly to the school. ASA Thrive will use an open enrollment admission policy for all California students, and will not discriminate on the basis of residency, gender, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, immigration status, ethnic and racial background, language spoken, religion or political belief. ASA Thrive shall admit all pupils who wish to attend the school up to capacity.
Applications will be accepted during a publicly advertised open enrollment period each year for enrollment in the following school year. As noted above, students and their parent(s)/guardian(s) must complete an application and submit it directly to ASA Thrive. Following the open enrollment period each year, applications shall be counted to determine whether any grade level has received more applications than availability. In accordance with California State Education Code 47605 (d) (2), a public random drawing shall be used when admissions requests exceed the available space. In the event that this happens, the Charter School will hold a public random drawing to determine admission for the impacted grade level, with the District-approved exemptions. Admission preferences in the case of a public random lottery will be given to the following students in the order below:
Unfortunately, for the 2018-19 school year, there can be no sibling priority in the lottery. We are aware of the confusion and inconvenience this may cause and are deeply sorry.
The following are the Lottery Priorities per our Charter and Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with CVUSD:
- Children of ASA staff (exempt from lottery);
- For ASA’s initial 2018-2019 year of operation only, children of ASA Founding Members and Founding Board of Directors combined (exempt from lottery; shall not exceed 10% of total enrollment);
- If the Charter School is physically located in the attendance area of a District public elementary school in which at least 50% of the enrollment is eligible for free and reduced price lunch, then students currently enrolled in that school and students who reside in that elementary school attendance area will be given preference in accordance with Education Code Section 47605.3 (3:1 weighting in lottery); and
- Children residing within CVUSD boundaries (2:1 weighting in lottery).
- Children residing outside of CVUSD boundaries (1:1 weighting in lottery).
At the conclusion of the public random drawing, all students who were not granted admission due to capacity shall have the option to put their name on a wait list according to their draw in the lottery. This wait list will allow students the option of enrollment in the case of an opening during the current school year. The waiting list shall expire at the end of each school year. Students remaining on the waiting list at the end of each school year must go through the open enrollment process for the upcoming school year, if they remain interested in attending the school.